“Something You Never Even Knew You Wanted…”

Gosh, it seems like I don’t have a lot to say on my blog lately. And yet, I still write, mostly because I like having a record of things. Guess that’s just the historian me. Speaking of being an historian, did I mention that I’m now the president of that historical society that I started?

That’s a picture of our official board of directors from our meeting this past Wednesday. I wouldn’t exactly say we’re beating down the door with people begging to help us (kind of the opposite, actually), but we’re working together, slowly but surely, to build up a presence in the community. Baby steps!

Since the last time I posted, we attended the school auction. Somehow I neglected to get a picture of my husband and I together, but we did dress up, and it was a fun evening. I definitely had my share of champagne, but since I had run 11 miles that morning, I felt it was justified. In addition to a few glasses of champagne, I also had a delicious salmon dinner. I tried to get pictures of the well-presented meal, but the room was really dark, and I didn’t want to jolt everyone at my table by using the flash, so they didn’t turn out. I did track everything I ate though, including the delicious mini cakes for dessert. It was a good night!

When I weighed myself a couple of days later, I think the champagne and dessert caught up with me a little bit.

That’s up about half a pound from my last weigh-in, so unfortunate, but I suppose it could’ve been worse. I think the fact that I did track everything I ate at the auction, and tried to eat sensibly for the rest of the week, definitely helped keep it from getting out of control.

Some other crazy things happened last week, including a surprise donation to our historical society…

That’s a picture of me with a 99-year-old school bell.  Wait, say what…!?

It’s a long story, but suffice it to say that the choices were to let the bell be sold for scrap, or take possession of it. So the board members voted to take possession, even though we don’t exactly have a place to store it (we are brand new and have no building/museum/edifice at present). Luckily, we arranged to find somewhere secure to store it and, as my friend who helped us secure the donation said to me when he delivered it, “And now you are the proud owner of something you never even knew you wanted.” True story! 😉

We played a lot of lacrosse in the last several weeks. In fact, last week I had a historical society board meeting on Monday, and then a lacrosse game every single night for the next four days, with an extra hockey game thrown in just for fun. I’m sleeping well these days, that’s for sure! But I’m happy to report that the weather has finally improved after our miserable early spring, and I was even able to put on a T-shirt at JJ‘s lacrosse game last week and enjoy the sunshine.

At that particular game, JJ‘s team was playing an opponent whose program has been around for a long time, and they’re quite good. They have two teams, a younger team and an older team. Because JJ is our only goalie, he played both games. They lost the 5th/6th grade game 10-6, but the kids still played well. After that game was over, we played their 7th/8th grade team. Our team is not quite as big, so we had to pull up several sixth and fifth graders to play, and of course, JJ was goalie. It turned out to be quite an exciting game, and our kids ended up winning 4-2!

It was a really great day, and it was fun to see all the kids so happy. It definitely helps make all the hard work in starting and running a lacrosse team worthwhile to see them having fun. I especially love the way the kids all treat JJ, who is not only a young goalie, but a small goalie. Here’s a picture of JJ with his two defenseman.

Isn’t the size disparity hysterical? 😉 They really work hard to build up his confidence, telling him he is a “beast“ and a “god.“ Lol, that’s hardly the case, but it makes him feel good, and he works really hard in net for all of his players.

Last Saturday morning, my three running buddies and I were planning on running 8 miles, but at 5:30 AM when we all got up, it was raining pretty hard. I was the one who suggested we all go back to bed for an hour and try later, so we did. As it turns out though, Jennifer and I were the only ones who got up an hour later and checked the weather, ha ha! She and I ended up running together, it was a good time (although we ended up going to far and doing nine instead of 8 miles!). We ran by a canal and saw some adorable little baby geese.

We stayed out of their way besides taking a moment to snap a few quick pictures. I have no desire to be attacked by a goose like the high school golfer from Monroe County whose escapades with a goose at a golf tournament were all over social media a few weeks ago!

As busy as we were last week, with all the hockey, lacrosse, and history meetings, I ended up eating a lot less than I normally do. In looking back over my week, I realized that I ended all but one day with at least 250 calories left over. Since I run 3 to 5 miles four out of five weekday mornings, I essentially was just not eating my exercise calories. When I weighed myself this past Monday, I could see that it made a difference.

At last! I am actually within my stated goal range of 120-125! It seems like it’s been forever since I’ve been there.  In reality, it has only been 3 months, ha ha.  I feel better this week, too. My clothes are fitting much better, so that’s a bonus.  I’m going to continue to try to not eat as much of my exercise calories.  Although when I’m not as busy, it’s harder, for sure!

Thanks for reading!



1 thought on ““Something You Never Even Knew You Wanted…”

  1. Meg B

    Love that you started your historic society! That is awesome. Congrats on your bell!

    Are you going to do a fall half marathon?


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *